Who's Gluten-Free?

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: Who's Gluten-Free?

Postby LeeAnnBalbirona » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 pm

I have celiac disease and my husband and all four of our kids are to some degree gluten-intolerant. So we are completely gluten-free in our household. We homeschooled for the past two years--the same two years in which we found out about celiac/gluten intolerance--but now my kiddos are heading back to public school and I'll be packing lunches for them daily. School lunch has pretty much entirely been removed as an emergency, fall-back, "I've overslept! Here take some money for lunch!"-option. If I am going to pack four lunches I figure I might as well pack six and have my own and my preschooler's lunch ready to go. We start school Sept. 8.
Gluten-free school lunch bentos are my focus; three children in school (6yo, 9yo & 12yo) that I pack lunch for daily, and one child (3yo) at home. I also pack lunch daily for my dh and sometimes for myself. Yes, that's a lot of lunches!
LeeAnnBalbirona

Postby gfbentomom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:07 am

LeeAnnBalbirona wrote: School lunch has pretty much entirely been removed as an emergency, fall-back, "I've overslept! Here take some money for lunch!"-option.
I had long ago forgotten that that was an option for people, until you mentioned it just now :lol: Recently I found myself, for the first time ever, wishing that kiddo could get something once in a while. The reason being that middle school here starts the earliest of all the schools due to bus scheduling, so he has to catch the bus an hour earlier than last year, but I'm a year older! :lol:. I'm not a morning person so I have to re-strategize! He has finally, after all these years tired of rice and after 7 months GF and mostly avoiding GF breads, he has finally shown an interest in trying some breads so I'll be experimenting more with GF breads/baked goods as a carb portion this year. It'll be a new adventure. Best wishes on yours!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby Caldercup » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:12 am

Oh, we were definitely told to keep feeding him normal levels of gluten until the endoscopy was completed -- which it was in late June. We got the official word on the Celiac diagnosis and switched to GF foods from that point forward.

So far, so good. It helped that I'd been reading about it for months and months!
Eileen
Cooking for a Type 1 diabetic, gluten-free, teenage boy.
Thank goodness he thinks bento is fun!

See my ramblings at: http://www.thesublurbs.com
Caldercup

Postby LeeAnnBalbirona » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:41 am

I just took my two oldest kids in for bloodwork. The oldest to see how she is responding to the gf diet one (plus) year out. The 2nd for her initial gluten intolerance test. I'm hoping to get results by next week. It takes nearly a month sometimes. I've had my oldest and youngest (#4) tested via endoscopy. I wouldn't do that again as it involved general sedation, although at the time, it was probably the easiest way to get blood samples from my then-1yo son. My #3 child is 6yo and deathly afraid of needles so I won't have her tested but she eats completely gf at home and only occasionally eats gluten out of the house (Costco pizza slice once or twice a month); she doesn't show many symptoms (allergy shiners under the eyes, occasional stomachache) so it's possibly she is only mildly intolerant or maybe it's something else. For her, I will wait until she is old enough to handle the fear of needles a little better, although she eats so little gluten, a reaction might not show up in a blood test. Maybe they'll develop a better test someday!
Gluten-free school lunch bentos are my focus; three children in school (6yo, 9yo & 12yo) that I pack lunch for daily, and one child (3yo) at home. I also pack lunch daily for my dh and sometimes for myself. Yes, that's a lot of lunches!
LeeAnnBalbirona

Postby varenikje » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Ahorsesoul wrote: Today my favorite snack is lefse from Grandma Ferdora.

What are lefse? That name sounds so familiar.
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby varenikje » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:40 pm

I went to a doctor here and they did some blood work that showed I was intolerant to gluten. When I was a child, I was found to be allergic to wheat, but I never paid much attention to that and ate wheat as usual. But I had gone to the doctor (recently) mostly because I had mild high blood pressure, and on doing some tests, they said that I was gluten intolerant. At first, it seemed like a very difficult thing to avoid gluten (no wheat?!) and my doctor said, if you don't believe it, just go off of the non gluten diet and see what happens. So one night, I was feeling particularly tired of eating non gluten. I went out for Chinese food with one of my daughters and had a few things (soy sauce, for one) that had gluten in it, and then I guess I found out! I slept for about 3 days! So, needless to say, since then I have avoided wheat completely. I am making note of some of the products that are being suggested in this forum that are non gluten. Thank you! I will definitely check some of these out!

I am also somewhat new to bento making. I live in what is possibly the polar opposite of the bento capital of the world (Nebraska and not Omaha or Lincoln) so I am hoping to pick up pointers on preparing non gluten meals that fit in a bento lunch box.
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:26 am

Welcome varenikje,

Wheat rye, barley and oats(due to cross-contamination) are not our friends unfortunately.

I lived in a very small Nebraska town once upon a time. There were only 13 kids in my elementary school class and we had to be bussed to the next town once we hit Jr. High. It was a good place to grow up though. I have lots of good memories. If you see something in my photo stream on Flickr and are wondering about brand names or how to make it just P.M. me here if you're not a Flickr member. We've had alot of success with Carol Fenster's sorghum flour blend this fall. I've made muffin after muffin with it and everything's come out great. Just substituted it for the flour in regular recipes and added the amount of xanthan gum suggested on the package. Kiddo's been taking alot of thermoses of soup and muffins this year so I haven't posted as many photos as in the past.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
gfbentomom

Postby varenikje » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 am

Wow! Your photo stream has a lot of neat ideas! I am feeling a little overwhelmed by this whole thing these days. I have actually been losing weight, which may not be such a bad thing (I am about 120 lbs and 5'3" tall) but I am not trying to lose weight, and with some of my other health issues, losing weight may not be a great sign. But the bento idea seems to have some promise to it, so that maybe I will eat when I should and what I should. The photos of your bentos are inspiring, as is this whole site. I want to eat, but not overeat, but not under-eat either. Sigh. Maybe if I just keep saying that to myself over and over...
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby varenikje » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Ahorsesoul wrote:I've been gluten free for years. Today my favorite snack is lefse from Grandma Ferdora.

I just looked up lefse in the dictionary, because I had never had it before, and it says it is made with flour. Do you make it with something other than wheat flour? I would love to come up with a NG sandwich wrap kinda thing. GF flour tortillas are exorbitantly expensive! Eating non gluten is also something that has prompted me to like bento meals. At this point, I am just experimenting, but I often have to just not eat because of gluten in the offered meal. But if I brought along a pleasant meal with me, then maybe that wouldn't bother people so much. I have great hopes that bentoing (is that a word?) will help me to eat non gluten.
Benjamin Franklin

Julia Child
varenikje

Postby gfbentomom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 am

varenikje wrote: I would love to come up with a NG sandwich wrap kinda thing. GF flour tortillas are exorbitantly expensive!

Aside from finding GF breads etc., you can utilize a low-carb dieter's trick and use leaf lettuce in place of sandwich bread, buns for burgers, wraps for fish tacos, to wrap up tuna, egg or chicken salad etc. For sandwiches and fish tacos, line up the fillings along the rib of the lettuce and hold like a taco. For burgers, choose a larger leaf and fold in half, breaking the rib so that both sides of the burger are covered. To take with, pack fillings separate from lettuce leaves and assemble when ready to eat. You can also do inside out wraps, spreading cream cheese or the like on a slice of deli meat and roll up and slice.
gfbentomom

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets