Hungry!

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Hungry!

Postby bluefrogj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I'm posting this under special diets since I have PCOS I need to watch. I know how to pack a bento that's basically going to be good for me. Today's was great and I felt no energy lag. Today's bento consisted of: 3 meatballs, 4 pieces of sesame crusted chicken (no breading, just sesame seeds) with a soy sauce fishie, 2 broccoli florets, some frozen green beans and carrots steamed, and less than a 1/4 cup of baked apples.

Problem though is hunger. The bento was packed into a 550ml Baby Zoo lunch box. I eat lunch at 12:00 p.m. By 3:30, I'm definitely feeling hungry. To a point where I go to the building next door and commit the greivous sin: something quick from the vending machine.

I know I need to bring a snack in the afternoons, but snacks are where I hit a major snag. I can never figure out a good, quick, and easy snack for the afternoons. Suggestions highly welcome!
:) Jenn of Not Exactly Bento
bluefrogj

• Website

Re: Hungry!

Postby Ahorsesoul » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I suggest cheese and some fruit slices for a snack to hold you over. Or apples and peanut butter if you are dairy free. Well, maybe wait with the peanut butter till it's safe. Carrots and a dip. Dips do not need to be dairy, humus is good for dipping.

When I finally went gluten-free I notice an increase in energy also.
Word for 2009-Christmas: Living each day filled with the Christmas Spirit.
Life happens even if you aren't ready.
Scrappin Not Nappin in 2009
Ahorsesoul

Postby Rabbit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:30 pm

I crash around 4:00 pm and need a snack to pull me through until dinner. I usually go for nuts and dried fruit because it's easy, fast, and relatively mess-free. If I have some real motivation in the morning, I'll pack fresh fruit salad and gluten-free granola or crackers. When I can get cheese sticks I'll bring those too. The little bit of protein helps.
Stephanie

life & travel blog: http://whereintheworld-stephanie.blogspot.com/

gluten-free blog: http://stephaniefood.blogspot.com/
Rabbit

• Website

Postby Folly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:04 am

I get hungry every four hours no matter what I eat; so I always eat and drink a *little* something around 4:30-5 p.m. A salad; crackers with cheese & jam or fruit; or a little inarizushi filled with hijiki & rice (I keep a stash in the freezer); or even a little bento that I've assembled when I made my lunch bento. I'm actually thinking about buying a two-tiered man-size bento box so that it make packing a lunch and snack bento even easier.

Also, when I didn't include some kind of starch in my bento, I got hungry even sooner. I've read that the recommended diet for PCOS is similar to that for diabetes, could you include small amounts of whole grain in your bento? Whole wheat pasta, toast, tortillas or crackers; brown rice; or a bran muffin.
Folly

Postby elenacala » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:32 am

My sister has PCOS too, and her doctor pretty much told her to eat like every two to 3 hours but to eat small and to always eat a carb and a protien. So thats my suggestion, a carb and a protien maybe like whole wheat toast and peanut butter? I noticed in your bento that you didn't have any whole grains and maybe thats part of why your hungry. I also have a couple friends who can't have gluten and they are always hungry no matter what they eat, so to me whole grains or whole wheat is something that helps to fill you up. Thats my suggestion. I like the cheese stick idea, maybe some whole wheat crackers or something to go along with it?
elenacala

Postby varenikje » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is PCOS? The snacks people have suggested sound good and like what I would eat, but (obviously) I don't even know what PCOS is. I don't think this was suggested, but when I am in a hurry, I eat a granola bar. I have to eat non gluten, so I check for wheat when I purchase, but granola bars seem to really satisfy my hunger quickly. I also eat cheese with non gluten crackers, and if I had it, I would probably add some hard salami or imitation crab meat to that.
"In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery,
eats twice as much as nature requires."
Benjamin Franklin

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate
- you know someone's fingers have been all over it."
Julia Child
varenikje

Postby elenacala » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:06 pm

PCOS is polycistic ovarian syndrome, has to do with womens stuff, mostly skipping periods being boderline or being full blown diabetic, and its pretty much a group of symptoms, hence the syndrome thing, but there is still a lot of debate about it in the medical field from what I gather. Granola bar is a great idea! They seem to be a high energy snack for the msot part.
elenacala

Return to Special Diets