low fiber 'healthy' snack ideas are wanted

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

low fiber 'healthy' snack ideas are wanted

Postby RyeBlossom » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 am

i have a friend who can't have much fiber in her diet. I'm looking for low fiber 'healthy' snack ideas to bake, or at least cookies or bars that are not overly sweet.
please excuse the lowercase- the keyboard isn't working...
RyeBlossom

Re: low fiber 'healthy' snack ideas are wanted

Postby gfbentomom » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 pm

If you are looking at baking with more highly refined flours maybe you could make them "healthier" by using fruit purees instead of actual sugar(honey etc.) and/or adding vegetable purees for nutrients or to mimic the flavor of carrot cake for example. It really depends on how you define healthy. Lowfat, highly processed carbs, whether they come from finely processed grains, sugar itself, or fruit purees, or anything low fiber, impacts blood sugar quickly, whether a person has diabetes or not. The fiber and fat are what slow the digestion and give us a more stable, longer lasting energy. I undersand however that fiber can be problematic for those with digestive difficulties. I'm wondering too if using finely processed, higher protein flours(think alternative grains to wheat, like sorghum, quinoa, soy) would work for her-they can have fiber without it being visible, coarse fiber, if you know what I mean. That would mean looking into gluten-free recipes, which use those flours. On another note, I used to regularly cut the sugar in recipes by half and they all came out just fine and were plenty sweet enough for me. In my experience, there are only a very few types of recipes that depend on the full amount of sugar for structure. What about things like baked custards-think pumpkin pie filling with or without the crust? We've been making these crustless in individual custard cups lately. There rae recipes out there for sweet potato, pumpkin, vanilla, and chocolate. Hope that gives you some direction and ideas. It's very kind of you to try and make something special that's considerate of your friend's dietary challenges.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby RyeBlossom » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 am

thank you so much. it does give me inspiration. i might make a low fat cheesecake or pumpkin pie or muffins with tofu or something.
i made biscotti type crackers- so basically it's flour with eggs, and i think that should work.
she gave birth last week and i was looking for something for her to grab and eat but not a real meal. granola bars are not an option unfortunately...
maybe i'll try biscotti with some soy flour.
thanks for the help :)
RyeBlossom

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:53 am

I'm glad that was helpful. I wasn't sure which direction you were coming from. I had forgotten about tofu! but have seen many baked goods recipes using pureed silken tofu which would add protein. I have made a tofu cheesecake and it was good! Seen recipes for tofu pumpkin pie as well as chocolate silk pie that were balanced as far as the "healthy" factor goes, not heavy on the sweetness or carbs. Good luck to you in your experiments!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Return to Special Diets