Diabetes and Bento

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

Re: Diabetes and Bento

Postby MommaSith » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:16 am

minyad wrote:Heres the one that really got me, the other day I bought some Yoplait "LIGHT" yogurt and on the front of it is had in big letters "with Splenda". So I bought it. Later that night I am eating some and turn over the jar, and not only is there Spenda in it to take out the sugar, there is high fructose corn syrup in it ..... who would have thought that a product with Spenda also had high fructose corn syrup.

Yeah, there are some drink mixes that have sugar listed (yay for regular sugar and not hfcs!), and then further down they have sucralose... argh! (Sucralose gives me a MASSIVE migraine, not fun.)

Reading labels is an absolute must, and some days it's a really discouraging job... lol.

Jenji wrote:Tomato (bf) is Type 1 and he's on insulin pens. He has this habit of over-injecting...oy. Anyways, we took the Arnold bread suggestion (there was even a special on it when we where there!) and bought two loaves to try: Honey Wheat & Whole Wheat. We purchased the "Soft Naturals" type and was comparing the labels to the short-loaved, gourmet-looking types. Surprisingly, the prior has more fiber than the latter AND is better price-wise. It's weird the things you'll find while reading labels. In short, we'll be getting this brand/type from now on. In comparison to previous breads, the crumb was tighter and gave a lovely spongey texture. Other breads have been air-ier and seemed...less. Even the SHAPE of the loaves! Reminds me of toast in anime XD Taste-wise, it passes. BF is particular about the softness of the bread...but I'm glad we BOTH like the bread. (we used to be on that wonderbread stuff...I always had a weird feeling at the back of my mind about it...it's weird but relieving to finally find a brand to stick to!)

We like the Soft Naturals, too :) They work really well with the crust cutters, because they're more square. The "gourmet" loaves have a lot more bread leftover from the cutters. Glad you found one you like! :D
MommaSith

Postby tinman57 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:29 am

I tend to follow South Beach Diet (but I'm not a diabetic so please follow your doctor's advice ultimately). It is good carb, low fat, lean protein types of things. If you can check out a book from the library about it (or just go to www.south-beach-diet.com , I think), the food lists are there. It's broken into 3 phases. The first phase is really strict but only lasts for 2 weeks. Basically that is supposed to get your blood chemistry a little normalized. The 2nd phase is really the better phase.

It's good because it allows you to eat when you're hungry. And it advocates maintaining a level blood sugar count.

Good luck.
tinman57

Postby Nightengale » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm also a diabetic lunch/bento lunch packer but not much help becuase I don't have carbohydrate restrictions. I'm Type 1 and so I can eat as many carbs as I want so long as I know exactly how many I'm eating so I can take the right amount of insulin. That's the main reason I'm a lunch packer, so I can count my carbs rather than guessing on cafeteria food. My lunches tend to have 50-65 grams carbs.
Nightengale

Postby Caldercup » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 am

I have a Type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic son that I started the "bentoing" in our house for -- he doesn't have a carb limit per meal, I just need to tell him how many carb the meal contains so that he knows how much insulin to inject.

Is the reason you're avoiding rice due to the fact that you'd only be able to have a small amount in a 30 carb meal? Or is it because rice has a high-glycemic index and causes some people to "spike?"

Eileen
Cooking for a Type 1 diabetic, gluten-free, teenage boy.
Thank goodness he thinks bento is fun!

See my ramblings at: http://www.thesublurbs.com
Caldercup

Postby gfbentomom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:22 pm

I personally am no longer eating rice of any kind, except very occasionally brown rice and in very small quantity-about a 1/4 c cooked. The reason being that it spikes me too much. I've changed my diet alot even since the last time I posted on this thread. Managing diabetes is very individual. I aim to stay under 140mg/dl at 1 hr. after eating. Brown rice will not cause as much of a spike as white rice for some but it can cause a delayed increase in BG at hr. 3 or 4 even after a decrease at hr. 2 because it is slowly digested. It may also vary according to how soft the rice is cooked. I eat quinoa instead. It doesn't spike me like rice but still follows a similar pattern of BGs as brown rice because it is more slowly digested. Hope that helps.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby Dragonflyknits » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am

Not a diabetic, but I eat like one. I had gastric bypass 2 years ago and now I don't eat white carbs any more (potatoes, rice, noodles, real sugar, etc.). Don't really miss them, either; but a lot of the bento illustrations (OK ALL of them) have half the container full of rice. I am open for any suggestions of other "fillers" for the box; I have already used lettuce, which works fine, and chopped bell peppers. I'm going to try beans pretty soon (beans for some reason do not affect me like the white carbs).

Any other ideas??
Judy in SC
Dragonflyknits

Postby gfbentomom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 pm

These days the larger portion of the bento gets filled up with my protein. Broccoli and califlower florettes fill in space nicely. Sweet potatoes(standard American orange fleshed) work well for some. Be careful of the variety. The Japanese light yellow fleshed satsumaimo spiked me WAY high. Canned pumpkin is very kind to the BG's and can be mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg and butter(or substitute)or other things and put in one of those silicon baking cups. You could try mixing the sweet potato and pumpkin to get a little more natural sweetness. Many diabetes/low-carb sites/blogs have recipes using califlower that has been grated to resemble rice and used in place of rice in fried rice or indian seasoned rice recipes. Haven't packed it in a bento but I tried the fried "rice" version for lunch at home and it worked. Not the same as rice but carried the flavors of the dish and filling. If beans work for you, there are many bean salads that pack well. How about hard boiled eggs? or omlettes? egg "crepes"(no flour)? Mini/individual muffin size crustless quiches?
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby Dragonflyknits » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Ooh, pumpkin! Hadn't thought of that... I love it, too. Cauliflower is a great idea too; I don't care about the mock fried rice with it, but I just like it by itself. I want to try the spiced beans recipe from here, that sounds delicious, and for today I made the 1-egg Japanese omelet from here and it was delicious. I sprinkled a little frozen spinach and grated cheese on it before I folded it. Not very Japanese, I know... :D Thanks for the great ideas!!
Judy in SC
Dragonflyknits

Postby myremi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Hmm.. I don't have diabetes but I do have high blood pressure and am overweight. And living in Asia, it's not easy to cut out rice and noodles.

In the end, I just practiced portion control and look for alternatives for grains. For noodles, I went for some organic solutions e.g. brown rice noodles. Also, another alternative is the tanghoon or glass-type of noodles although I can't remember whether they were gluten-free but they are wheat free. When cook, the noodles are transparent.

For rice alternative, I cut down the portion to about 1/4 of a plate which is about 1/2 a fist (1/2 a cup?). Am using a bean + rice mix. I got that from a supermarket premix and it had millet, brown rice, black glutinous rice, green beans, red beans, and a few other grains that I can't recall. Keeps me pretty full.
myremi

Previous

Return to Special Diets