Diabetes and Bento

Weight loss, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc.

I am looking for a blog specificly re diabetes and bentos

Postby eilismaura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 pm

A lovely woman I chat with at my son's school sooooooooo needs help managing her eating - her major health problem is diabetes. She has a granddaughter who is eating poorly and getting chunky.

I am trying to spread the bento joy but so many can't imagine it doing them any good even though they see daily what it does for me.

SOOOOOOOOO I am on the look out for diabetics and preteen/teen making bentos (not mom doing it - I am also big on getting kids to do their own cooking - never too soon for life skills!).

Thanks in advance!

~ Begin by knowing you have already arrived ~
my blog - http://honeysheistwisted.blogspot.com/

eilismaura
eilismaura

Re: Diabetes and Bento

Postby PBLayzod » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm another PCOS person. Sourdough is low on the glycemic index and might be a sandwich option. I also recommend sweet potato french fries. I won't be switching to an Asian diet any time soon. Pot stickers are probably as I'll get unless it's take-out. I'd think you could substitute vegetables for some of the usually rice/pasta carbs pretty easily.
PBLayzod

Postby btvsrcks » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Count me as a PCOS person who now has Diabetes. That metformin/diabetes argument was one I had at the ER several times before I was diagnosed. They would even DELAY TREATMENT until they tested me. ugh. So annoying. I feel your pain.

Anyway, one tip I have when packing lunches is to make your carbs count. One thing I started doing was making sure every carb added fiber to my diet. Want to pack a crunchy snack? Some high fiber crackers or popcorn is better for you than pretzels (sugar!) or potato chips (soon to be sugar!)

It actually helps a lot, and makes you realize how bad 'diet' food really is. Pretzels are one of the worst, with their high sugar content and no nutritional value. But for years pretzels were considered a 'diet' food because they were low in fat. It is a joke.

Finally, when I was watching my blood sugars like a hawk before the holiday, I was limiting myself to a certain number of calories per day (regardless of health of the food) and I have to tell you, my A1C's were completely normal. It may not work for someone who is severely diabetic, but it did for me. I recorded everything I ate for 6 months and kept my food intake at 1700-1800 calories per day and I lost 40 lbs and had an A1C of 4. And I still had things like taco time and pizza, as long as it fit into my calories per day.

Something to think about. Note: That diet wasn't the best in fiber, I won't lie to you. :)
======================================================================
That probably would've sounded more commanding if I wasn't wearing my yummy sushi pajamas. - Buffy
btvsrcks

Postby Loki » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Lethargic wrote:I very rarely pack rice in my boyfriend's bento lunches. So there are definitely other options. I usually pack pasta or a sandwich to to replace the carbs of rice. However I have heard that there are low carb tortillas(or whole wheat or corn maybe?) if you like mexican food. Even non-mexican things, like breakfast burritos or various wraps with sandwich fillings. I like to pack burritos and things because they reheat very well since my boyfriend has a microwave at work. But if you can't reheat, beans are great heat insulators. I hope this helps and you find some new ways of packing bento. :)

Uh, I am a diabetic and I don't understand you logic here. The carbs in rice are the same as the carbs in regular pasta and white bread. You could instead pack brown rice, whole grain bread on the sandwiches or whole wheat pasta.

A carb is a carb is a carb BUT the whole grains slow down the rate at which it enters the bloodstream and therefore has a lower *glycemic index*. I find that it's this that I have to worry about most.

And besides, the whole grains are just plain better or us.

The low carb tortillas are great though!

Loki
Loki

Postby Loki » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:27 pm

gfbentomom wrote:I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. I have been bentoing for a while now but was diagnosed with diabetes in October and am managing without meds. or insulin right now so I am able to tolerate about 15-20g carbs from starches or starchy vegetables or beans per meal. I am posting my bentos on my photostream at Flickr but not labeling them as diabetic friendly or low carb. There are a few from pre-diagnosis. My starches/carbs are all gluten-free. I post my kiddos lunches often but mine are only occasionally, although I often bring bentos with me, they are fairly repetitive right now. I also focus most of my energy on my nutritional needs rather than appearance. I save my creative energy for kiddos bentos. Quinoa works well for me. It is my understanding that it is the only vegetarian source of complete protein equal to meat. Trader Joes makes a Basmati Rice Medley that has some wild rice and dehydrated veggies in it. It cooks up quickly and works well for me too. TJ's is a ways away from us so I stock up when we go! I also use brown rice instead of the white and find that the longer the grain, the less effect on BG(I still have to really limit my portions though). If you add lots of veggies to the grains it makes the portions seem bigger. ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N ... 502391694/

When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic 6 years ago I was given the best advice ever by a diabetic friend.
It's simple. "No white food." It works well for me.

Basically, if you eat whole grains, brown rice, sweet potato and other non-white foods it's a whole lot
easier to regulate your BG.

Oh, and if I include peanut butter or peanuts with my chocolate my BG is still happy. <grin>

Loki
Loki

Postby gfbentomom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:38 am

Loki wrote:When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic 6 years ago I was given the best advice ever by a diabetic friend.
It's simple. "No white food." It works well for me.

Basically, if you eat whole grains, brown rice, sweet potato and other non-white foods it's a whole lot
easier to regulate your BG.

Oh, and if I include peanut butter or peanuts with my chocolate my BG is still happy. <grin>

Loki

Thank you for the advice Loki. I have a bar of 85% dark chocolate that I've been saving to experiment with when I get brave or desperate, whichever comes first! I'll make sure to have some P.B. with it. Can't complain about that!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Postby MommaSith » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:20 am

Be careful of the brand of bread you get. Even the whole grain stuff, depending on the brand, has high fructose corn syrup in it. I have a few diabetic friends that have watched carefully when they eat certain foods, and hfcs makes their blood sugar spike like nothing else. Even candy made with pure sugar doesn't make it spike like the hfcs. There are at least 2 regular national brands of bread, easily found the grocery stores, that have no hfcs in most of their varieties. Pepperidge Farm is one, but you have to read the labels. Arnold is the other, and they have several varieties that say "No High Fructose Corn Syrup" right across the top of the label.
MommaSith

Postby bluefrogj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:08 pm

MommaSith wrote:Be careful of the brand of bread you get. Even the whole grain stuff, depending on the brand, has high fructose corn syrup in it.

Boy that's an interesting point, and one I didn't know. No wonder I've felt so much better this last six months since I've been making bread myself. I eat a slice in the mornings with a small amount of jam with a hard boiled egg or other source of protein. I was buying a whole wheat bread but now I make my own.

Very interesting.
:) Jenn of Not Exactly Bento
bluefrogj

• Website

Postby minyad » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:02 am

I agree, you have to read everything these days for high fructose corn syrup. I found it in my bread and in my mini RICE CAKES and PRECOOKED CHICKEN of all things. Cereal, even the non sugary ones, some sausage, some bacon, crackers, pasta, drinks (especially bottled iced tea) its crazy.

Heres the one that really got me, the other day I bought some Yoplait "LIGHT" yogurt and on the front of it is had in big letters "with Splenda". So I bought it. Later that night I am eating some and turn over the jar, and not only is there Spenda in it to take out the sugar, there is high fructose corn syrup in it ..... who would have thought that a product with Spenda also had high fructose corn syrup.

Now I have 18 of these suckers to get through before I can go back to the old fashion ones. And I thought I was being good. I can only eat these in the morning because they keep spiking my sugars if I have them at night.
minyad

Postby Jenji » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:50 am

Thank you ladies for this wealth of information.

Tomato (bf) is Type 1 and he's on insulin pens. He has this habit of over-injecting...oy. Anyways, we took the Arnold bread suggestion (there was even a special on it when we where there!) and bought two loaves to try: Honey Wheat & Whole Wheat. We purchased the "Soft Naturals" type and was comparing the labels to the short-loaved, gourmet-looking types. Surprisingly, the prior has more fiber than the latter AND is better price-wise. It's weird the things you'll find while reading labels. In short, we'll be getting this brand/type from now on. In comparison to previous breads, the crumb was tighter and gave a lovely spongey texture. Other breads have been air-ier and seemed...less. Even the SHAPE of the loaves! Reminds me of toast in anime XD Taste-wise, it passes. BF is particular about the softness of the bread...but I'm glad we BOTH like the bread. (we used to be on that wonderbread stuff...I always had a weird feeling at the back of my mind about it...it's weird but relieving to finally find a brand to stick to!)

Also, we've also begun switching to brown rice. Going from a longer grain Thai jasmine to a short grained brown rice (by Nishiki) is going to take some getting used to...especially during preparation. Tomato usually makes the rice - so we're going to have to adjust the water and all that. So far, we've combined the two (it was the last bit of white rice) and it tasted fine. Tomato approves so we're good to go!
Jenji

PreviousNext

Return to Special Diets