Standard and GFCF "Nestle" Chocolate Chip Cookies

Post your recipes for dishes good in bentos & packed lunches

Standard and GFCF "Nestle" Chocolate Chip Cookies

Postby Pangolin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 am

I tried these over the weekend for my brother, who has now gone GFCF, along with cutting out a lot of other things.

I started with the standard Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe on the back of the chocolate chip package, then I made substitutions:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Mix)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter, softened (Earth Balance Vegan Sticks)
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs (Egg Beaters because that's what I had on hand.)
2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLE TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips)
1 cup chopped nuts (Left these out due to nut allergies and the fact that nuts don't belong in cookies!)
(I added a 1/2 cup of golden raisins and a 1/2 cup of dark raisins.)

Directions:
1. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.

2. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in flour mixture.

3. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

I had no desire to eat the cookie dough. The Earth Balance sticks give the mixture a weird oily look and texture - I had no desire to scoop fingerfuls into my mouth... The cookies are very crumbly at first, but after a couple days they stick together better. My brother and his friends gave them a two-thumbs up, and I thought they were good but not quite as good as the standard cookie. They do leave that tell-tale GF texture in your mouth - kind of like you just put flour straight on your tongue!
Pangolin

• Website

Re: Standard and GFCF "Nestle" Chocolate Chip Cookies

Postby gfbentomom » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Pangolin, Just some ideas. Haven't tried the King Arthur GF flour but some people find the rice flour to be gritty. We like a sorghum flour blend. Also I see the the King Arthur flour doesn't have xanthan gum, that might help you with the crumble factor. Maybe real eggs next time? Good for you for your kitchen experiment! It took me a very long time to delve into GF baking. I wasn't quite so brave and ended up with a graveyard of GF baked goods at one point early on!
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Return to Recipes