Bento of the Month Contest Poll: My Valentine (login to vote

Post your bento for the monthly theme, and come back to vote in the poll to decide on the best! Winners receive a bento-related prize.

Whose bento best suits our "My Valentine" theme?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:09 pm

jewelmaker
9%
Amthezia
8%
Texasmomof4
15%
Laura Bento
26%
bentolunches
8%
Miss D
3%
Kyoki
8%
MushMo
3%
eventamy
2%
VeganF
3%
DaemonNoire
No votes
ChrissiHR
2%
Pirika
15%

Total votes : 66

Bento of the Month Contest Poll: My Valentine (login to vote

Postby QChan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Alright boys and girls! It's time for the polling part of our bento of the month!

So Again, the deal is, I list all the entries, you look through them all, pick the one that you feel best exemplifies out theme "My Valentine", and then you vote for it in the poll.

If you click the button underneath the picture of the entry you will get to read the comment that the maker has about their bento.

The poll will close one week from today(Sorry I didn't have it up yesterday, I'm a terrible person I know)(That's Tuesday March 3rd by the way)

Here are our contestants!

jewelmaker:

Spoiler:
I've been wanting to make this frog for a while now. I've been drawing him since I was a kid so naturally I needed to make him into a bento. I colored the rice with fresh spinach juice and decorated him with nori. For the sky I was trying for blue and I used steamed red cabbage then mixed it with baking soda to turn it blue and tossed it in shiitake sesame vinaigrette. It turned out too dark, I will try something different for the sky next time. under the broccoli is sauteed beef strips. I decorated with egg and smoked sausage flowers, various beet, carrot, golden beet and baby corn flowers. The butterfly is some really cool pasta I found. There are a bunch of different colors like yellow/black, orange/black, purple/black etc. They are really bright colors but they fade when cooked. They are still cool. The sign is on a slice of ham and I finally got to use my new mini letter punches! They work great. I first tried to do the letters out of carrot. The letters themselves worked well but I ended up doing them out of nori so they would show up better. Little one loved eating this bento!

Amthezia:

Spoiler:
I married last summer, so I'm still a bit in a romantic mood sometimes!
I wanted to create penguins that stand before the altar, to marry :)
Last night I worked on it for an hour, esspecially the sesame seeds took a long time....

I made it with mashed potatoe, olives, creamcheese, egg, black sesame seeds and 1 leaf of lettuce.
My new website (although its completly in Dutch) is: http://www.bento-babe.nl , I hope you all enjoy looking at the pictures!!

ImageImage

Texasmomof4:

Spoiler:
Bee My Valentine!

Onigiri are filled with salmon cream cheese.

Laura Bento:

Spoiler:
clockwise starting with heart shaped salmon, I <3 U piped on with bbq sauce, cherry tomato rose....that i forgot to add ''leaves" to.

bride and groom chocolate covered strawberries

heart and X shaped cookies

mixed veggies in heart containers

bbq sauce in little round container

yellow mini bell pepper

3 heart food picks

heart shaped potato fries sprinkled with furikake

bentolunches:

Spoiler:
stuffed onigiri, lotus root, strawberry, chicken shu mai, carrots
carrot & jicama hearts, valentine peep, strawberries, raspberries, jello

Miss D:

ImageImageImageImage
Spoiler:
This is actually the first fancy bento I've ever made. Generally I just pack food. Any way, my boyfriend decided he wanted to spend the day with my son, so I packed them a special valentines day themed lunch to share.

Food was as follows: heart shaped cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread, hard boiled eggs cut to look like hatching chicks (cut peas for eyes and cheese triangles for beaks), steamed veggie mix of peas, heart shaped carrots and broccoli; fruit salad of pear, grapes and satsuma. Red hearts are bell pepper.

Turns out my toddler isn't into hard boiled eggs or bell peppers, but he liked the rest.

Packed in two Hello Kitty bento boxes. I also made the little clover charm.

Kyoki:

Spoiler:
I know that it's not as beautiful as the other bento that have been submitted.

But Valentine's is about love, and my bento has a story behind it.

My bento went to work with my husband today, with this story carefully laid on top of the bento above.

Exactly two thousand, seven hundred eighty one days ago, a girl wandered around a camp covered in red dirt, positive she would live the rest of her life surrounded by friends and still alone. She walked without seeing through knee deep grass, along dark, overgrown trails, and past other people who were content, laughing and talking. She turned away from the beaten path, going against the river of people making their way into a building, and instead turned towards the lake, drawn as she always was to the solace of the familiar element.

And exactly two thousand, seven hundred and eighty one days ago, that girl walked underneath an oak tree and into the rest of her life.

Sitting on a bench, alone by the water, was a quiet boy. He had been drawn to the quiet of this place as well, and that evening, the girl sat down on the bench next to her destiny.

Exactly two thousand, three hundred ninety seven days ago, a young woman stood in the basement of an old Lutheran church, surrounded by dark wood and her bare feet on a floor worn smooth and silky by thousands of other feet. She cried as her father kissed her forehead and said a prayer and a blessing over his only daughter, and she kissed her mother who had taught her everything, and then she climbed an old oak staircase and stood alone in the foyer. The door was behind her- her entire life as a girl was outside those doors.

And exactly two thousand, three hundred ninety seven days ago, a young woman walked down a path polished by thousands before her to become one with a young man- and together, they walked into the rest of their life.

Exactly eighty five days ago, a woman clung desperately to the hand of a man, so concentrated that she forgot to breathe, and she struggled desperately in the fight of her life. Together with the man, she counted, she took slow, deliberate breaths. And when it became too much for her, she pressed her head against him, her eyes clamped shut, while he talked to her softly and the doctors helped ease the pain. And when the time came, she held tightly to his hand and together they fought through the hurt...

And exactly eighty five days ago, the boy and the girl of eight years ago became one more, and three days later they walked out of the hospital, now mother and father, and into their new life.

Today is ground zero. There are no more numbers, because today is the first day of many years to come. And tonight, when they lay down to sleep, they can know that tomorrow will also be the first, and together, they can walk into it- and someday they will be and old man and an old woman, who will sit beside a lake, gazing over the water, into the rest of their lives.

Happy Valentines Day.
Feb 14, 2008

I met my husband in Garden Valley, Texas, on July 5th, 2001. Surrounded by plains made of red dirt and grass holding chiggers, I was walking alone, and then... I found him under an old oak tree. I'm no artist, and my stick figures are lopsided. I can't draw a straight line, and I'm not very artistic... but I can make a bento of an old oak tree, under a wide blue sky, surrounded by red dirt.

MushMo:

ImageImage
Spoiler:
Top Tier:
1 - Baked Renkon (Lotus Root) Chips (homemade and so yummy!)
2 - Naked Chicken Nuggets (a little worcestershire sauce in the heart for them)
3 - Molded and Dyed (in beet juice) quail egg

Bottom Tier:
1 - Homemade Carrot Cake
2 - Strawberry & Kiwi Picks
(buried under the parsley are two more quail eggs)

eventamy:
Spoiler:
The Valentine's Day Bento I made for DD5.
Avocado maki with pink rice, strawberries, heart shaped cheese and pink molded rice cubes (some with hearts). I prepped the rice and cheese the night before and rolled the maki in the morning.

VeganF:

Spoiler:
...a strawberry; blueberries; a Lake Champlain dark chocolate heart; grilled chreez sandwich with tic-tac-toe made of ketchup, soy cheese & black olives; broccoli; peanuts.

DaemonNoire:

Spoiler:
On the left, a happy heart kitty. Pink rice, a carrot mouth and ears, red hots for eyes, and a tail made of cinnamon Twizzler. The letters are carrot, the hearts are Sweet Tarts, with broccoli framing the kitty. All on a bed of celery to lift the whole thing up.

On the right, two little muffin mice. They're mixed berry heart shaped muffins with cinnamon Twizzler tails, rhubarb whiskers, and red hot noses stuck on with small dabs of icing. The hand is goat cheese cut to show "I Love You" in sign language, with a backdrop of Dove dark chocolate hearts. More Sweet Tarts for a little extra color, and lettuce to frame the whole thing up.

ChrissiHR:

Spoiler:
My 6 year old's Speed Valentine Bento: whole wheat organic PB and fruit spread Flat-Out Wraps w/ green grapes, apple chunks, apple hearts, honey for dipping w/ two pink ring food picks.

Pirika:

Spoiler:
Kissing egg chicks over a carrot nest with their (quail) egg. Mr. Chick has broccoli flowers for Mrs. Chick and a strawberry crest. Mrs. Chick has a bologna heart. A pink beet juice dyed heart rises from above their kiss in a bologna starry sky. Their nest rests in a tree of heart shaped berries.

The egg chicks were inspired by something I found online. This is my first time doing anything nearly this cute and I think I'm hooked!
Thanks for all the great entries, everyone!

Biggie:

Spoiler:
It contains Heart-shaped onigiri rice balls filled with Gohan Desu Yo! seasoned seaweed paste (colored with red or green hana-ebi shrimp powder, decorated with nori seaweed and mamenori soy wrappers), blueberries, steamed zucchini with Korean barbecue sauce, and chicken from a homemade Indian curry (lal shorve vala murgh).
Last edited by Biggie on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread title change
QChan

Re: Bento of the Month Contest Poll: My Valentine

Postby Laura Bento » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Is there something wrong with the poll? Some of my family and friends were not able to vote. It just shows the results and that's it :(
Houston mom of 1 yr old boy! I make bento lunches for hubs :)
http://flickr.com/photos/laurabento/
http://laurabento.livejournal.com/
Laura Bento

Postby QChan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:02 am

Are they members on the board?
QChan

Postby Laura Bento » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 am

QChan wrote:Are they members on the board?

No they are not. Do they have to be?
Laura Bento

Postby Amthezia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 am

I thought.....but correct me if i'm wrong :) that biggie didn't wanted to enter, as it is her site.

I love all the entries :D really great!!!
Playing with your food is FUN - http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ry_state0= (then you have the automatic translated page (by google ;) )
Amthezia

Postby Laura Bento » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 am

Amthezia wrote:I thought.....but correct me if i'm wrong :) that biggie didn't wanted to enter, as it is her site.

I love all the entries :D really great!!!

She didn't enter. Her bento picture is there, but her name is not in the poll
Laura Bento

Postby Amthezia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:21 am

Oops :D hihih! Sorry!
Playing with your food is FUN - http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ry_state0= (then you have the automatic translated page (by google ;) )
Amthezia

Postby Biggie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:51 am

Laura Bento wrote:
QChan wrote:Are they members on the board?

No they are not. Do they have to be?

Ah, you've discovered a bug! Thanks Laura Bento!

It looks like if non-members look at the poll at the moment, they just see results instead of the proper voting form. If you're a member and you log in, you get the view where you can vote in the poll. I'll see if/how to fix this so that everyone sees the voting form until they've either voted or the poll is closed -- my apologies (and thanks for discovering this!!!). In the meantime, just tell your friends and family members to register on the board, and they'll be able to vote for you. :D

EDIT: Just to clarify, what I'd like to change would be just the display of the voting form to everyone. If a non-member tries to actually vote, though, it would take them to a board registration screen first before allowing the vote.
Last edited by Biggie on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarification
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby veganf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:47 am

Call me crazy, but I never ask people to vote for me...I do let them know that I have entered, give them the link, and suggest that they vote for whatever bento they think is best whether it's mine or not. I guess I feel that only people who are interested enough in learning about bento to join the forums should be voting anyhow? :oops: Am I just too honest? :lol: Heck, I refuse to even vote for myself!
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

Postby Laura Bento » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 am

Call me crazy, but I never ask people to vote for me...I do let them know that I have entered, give them the link, and suggest that they vote for whatever bento they think is best whether it's mine or not.

There is nothing wrong with asking people to show their support and vote for you. Political candidates do it, contestants on American Idol do it, Biggie did it for the food blog awards, everyone does it.

I guess I feel that only people who are interested enough in learning about bento to join the forums should be voting anyhow?

I think everyone should just have fun with this and be allowed to vote. They should be able to express their opinion and tell us "Whose bento best suits our "My Valentine" theme?!!" :D

Am I just too honest? :lol: Heck, I refuse to even vote for myself!

As for voting for yourself, if you truly feel that what you did is the best and that you put a lot of hard work and poured your heart & soul into it, then go ahead. Unless you feel someone else did a better job, don't vote for someone else out of pity.

SO GO AHEAD AND VOTE AWAY EVERYONE!
Laura Bento

Next

Return to Bento of the Month Contest