Is there away to delete spam topics?

Suggestions, site how-to and troubleshooting

Is there away to delete spam topics?

Postby Folly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:25 am

Looks like the Forum has been invaded by spammers. Other than clicking every new spam post or category, is there a way that I can get to authentic new topics and posts?
Folly

Re: Is there away to delete spam topics?

Postby MommaSith » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 am

The mods delete new spam posts almost every day :) I don't know why there's been such a HUGE rush of them the last couple of days, though :o

Unfortunately, except for trying to judge from the post title and skip the spam ones, there's not much you as a user can do about it.
MommaSith

Postby hippie_mama » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:52 pm

lol, speaking of... *points at the post above* So...is there a need for extra mods? Because that's something i have the time to help with.
hippie_mama

Postby Pangolin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 am

I've been busy with my "real" job, and haven't check in in the last couple weeks. I'm working on fixing this right now. Normally I check and delete span everyday, but it got away from me.

Keep the real posts coming... I'd much rather weed through them for the spam than keep the board spam-free for no one!
Pangolin

Postby MommaSith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:38 pm

More mods might help, but Biggie's the only one who can make that happen, and she's been rather out of pocket lately.

(If/when you get to reading this, Biggie, I hope things are looking up for you! *hugs*)
MommaSith

Postby Biggie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:19 am

Okay, Biggie is back in the building! The spam problem should be taken care of now -- I updated the forum software and introduced some signup measures to help weed out spammers. Deleted the spam topics. Spammer registrations have dropped to zero since the changes, so we're fine for the moment. I think I just need to keep the board software up to date and keep a close eye on things so we don't have a repeat.

The main thing at the moment is a mountain of about 80,000 unapproved forum registration requests that I haven't finished going through (mostly spammers, from what I can tell). If someone is a real human stuck in that mountain, please feel free to send me email at lunchinabox AT gmail DOT dom with your user ID, and I'll be sure to approve you ASAP. Thanks!
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support