Question About Onigiri

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Question About Onigiri

Postby ChrissiHR » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:05 pm

I've read about stuffed onigiri, but I have no idea what people put in them. Onigiri isn't very common here in rural, eastern PA. ;) What do you put in yours? And what would you stuff your onigiri fwith for a young child (around 6 or so) and a picky eater? I'll try anything to get my son to eat lunch!
ChrissiHR

Re: Question About Onigiri

Postby QChan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:54 pm

Personally I like Umeboshi or Tuna stuffed onigiri.

Honestly you could put ANYTHING you want in an onigiri, maybe somthing like soya sauce marinated chicken would be good for a picky eatter.

What kind of foods does your son like?
QChan

Postby eilismaura » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:56 pm

ChrissiHR wrote:I've read about stuffed onigiri, but I have no idea what people put in them. Onigiri isn't very common here in rural, eastern PA. ;) What do you put in yours? And what would you stuff your onigiri fwith for a young child (around 6 or so) and a picky eater? I'll try anything to get my son to eat lunch!

I don't know if this is a heretical suggestion or not but I have added sugar on occasion to mine.

Mostly mine have been plain (like having a slice of bread on the side of what I am eating) but I have been experimenting more - like yesterday it was small bit of deli ham and bits of shredded cheese for a ham and cheese onigiri
eilismaura

Postby QChan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 pm

Haha, sugar would be tasty... I mean you could go all out like this person did
QChan

Postby Biggie » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:57 pm

Onigiri is good stuffed with any strong-tasting, pretty dry filling (if it's too moist the rice'll fall apart around it). Chopped-up meat/fish and veggies from curry or stew, or stir-fry, kimchi, bulgogi, flaked grilled fish, chutney & fresh mint, etc.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (9)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby veganf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:44 am

my favourite is miso paste & scallion....or adzuki beans....or spicy pickled greens... :lol:
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

Postby ChrissiHR » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:04 pm

QChan wrote:Personally I like Umeboshi or Tuna stuffed onigiri.

Honestly you could put ANYTHING you want in an onigiri, maybe somthing like soya sauce marinated chicken would be good for a picky eatter.

What kind of foods does your son like?

Umm...fruit. :roll: I was thinking of putting some of his favorite raviloi stuffings in onigiri and trying that with some familiar foods first. Pumpkin and mascarpone, crab and cream cheese, pork-apple sausage, that sort of thing. (Notice they all have a sweet flavor. :roll:) He also loves cold ravioli stuffed with avocado and lemon juice of all things. :roll: He dips them in ranch dressing. :shock:
ChrissiHR

Postby Bunny » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:34 pm

I've been known to make "breakfast" onigiri. Instead of stuffed, they're mixed, though.
When my rice is ready, I will scramble an egg or two, depending on how much I'm making, and cook them a little on the dry side. Also, I mix them extra well so the pieces are small. I dump that into the rice, along with some bacon bits. The real bacon ones, though, not the fake things. Mix well, and make into onigiri shapes. I just use enough so I get the flavor of bacon and eggs, too much mixed in and they wouldn't stick together.

I also like the flavored tuna, there's one that is sweet and spicy, and on the front of the package it advertises "great on rice!" It's certainly great IN rice.
Bunny

Postby Riss » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:57 am

Anyyyyyyything. I put asian beef and left over char siu in mine, kind of like a "onigiri dumpling" type thing.
Riss

Postby jskidmoreca » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:28 pm

As already stated, you can add just about anything. I even read once where someone used peanut butter
Jo
Novato, California
jskidmoreca

Next

Return to General Lunch Discussion