Travel Bentos?

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Travel Bentos?

Postby eventamy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 am

My family and I are traveling next month and going to Disney World :D . I was thinking about packing a few bentos for us to snack on during our flight (from New Hampshire to Florida, nonstop), especially since our flight is at 11:45 so I'm sure we'll be hungry.
I placed an order with Ichiban Kan the other day and ordered some disposable bentos along with some other stuff.

What have you guys packed for your flights? How should be pack it and what's ok to pack to get it through security?

Thanks!
eventamy

Re: Travel Bentos?

Postby TNT » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:26 am

Here's what's on the TSA website. It's vague at best. Unpeeled fruit appears to be safe.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1667.shtm

I think it's sort of a crapshoot, and depends on the person you get and what kind of day they're having.

another travel website had this to say:

Q. What about food?
Even though the TSA says to "try not to over-think" the new guidelines, that can be tricky when it comes to food items. Does a cheesecake count as a gel or a solid? What about pecan pie? And can you bring your holiday leftovers like turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes?

A TSA rep told us that turkey and stuffing should be solid enough to pass muster, but mashed potatoes are a bit too gel-like. As for baked goods, the latest word from the TSA is that travelers can take pies, cakes and other bakery products through security -- but be prepared for additional screening.

You may bring solid snack foods such as pretzels, potato chips or carrot sticks for the plane -- but you may want to hold the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Single-serving packages of condiments are permitted as long as they fit within your single zip-top bag, so you can add mustard to your ham sandwich after you get through security. All food must be securely wrapped or in a spill-proof container. You may not bring gel packs to refrigerate food (though they are permitted for medication).

Our advice? If you have any doubts about an item, either check it or leave it at home. After all, you may buy food or drinks after you pass through the security checkpoint if you need some munchies for the plane.

I think it's a crap shoot...but worth trying.
TNT

Postby veganf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:42 am

I packed travel bentos for my husband and son last month and everything went through fine: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot. ... -land.html
I just avoided packing any drinks in their carry-ons, or anything like applesauce, pudding, yogurt, etc.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

Postby MarocMama » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 am

I fly very regularly (at least 1-2 times monthly and several times a year internationally) with my kids. I always pack lunches, and have never even considered some of the things cited in that article. I've never ever had any of the food inspected or tossed out. I don't bring drinks, get them on the other side of security. The last trip with the youngest I packed small peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, pretzels, some cherries (bad idea in hindsight because of staining), cheese cubes, and some cut up carrots. We also flew Jet Blue so he got some chips too. I always always pack food for me and the kids because I hate paying for crappy airport food and more often than not we run into a delay of some sort so we're running to get on the plane, or somebody needs a last minute diaper change, or potty break or spilled all over themselves and we end up not being able to get anything to eat.
MarocMama

Postby djuna » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:50 am

I was going to add -- it sounds like you're planning to use plastic bento boxes anyhow, but just in case, I was going to suggest doing so. I have had multiple experiences, even in the pre-9/11 days, of taking various metal containers on the plane and having ot go through extra security because of it -- I even had security personnel pry the lining out of a metal jewelry case once (yes, I evidently learn slowly).

It's certainly possible that the newer equipment is better and metal containers no longer pose a problem, but I would avoid them just in case.
djuna

Postby Biggie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 am

I wrote a couple of posts about travel bentos that might be useful:

Avoid Airplane Food: Pack Your Own Bento Lunch

Vacation Bento Lunches
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (5)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby MommaSith » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am

I have no advice, but YAY that you're coming to Disney World! Last time I was there, the Japanese pavilion in EPCOT Center had a decent variety of Hello Kitty bento boxes, but not much in the way of accessories. I was really hopeful about that place, but oh well... lol.

We have annual passes and live about 20 minutes away, so if you have any interest in meeting up, let me know! (If that weirds you out, or your schedule is just too packed, I completely understand and I'm not offended ;) )
MommaSith

Postby veganf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:23 pm

MommaSith wrote:Last time I was there, the Japanese pavilion in EPCOT Center had a decent variety of Hello Kitty bento boxes, but not much in the way of accessories.

oooh, yes, I remember seeing a lot there too. But I had already blown all my "spending money" and then some :| . Disney is so much fun. We went there again in fall '07 with all the kids and my SILs kids, what a blast. We brought most of our own food into the park too which will save you a bundle. The house we rented had little Pooh bentos that were perfect for packing up snacks for the kids.
I hope you have an awesome time!
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1), all born at home. Kids vegan bento lunches: http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
veganf

Postby Pangolin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:19 pm

I flew from Columbus to New Orleans and then took a cruise from there to Mexico last October. I managed to get m&m's, dried friut, nuts, and granola bars on the plane with me, and then again on the boat (since you have to go through security there as well).
A year ago I managed to get ham sandwiches with me on the plane as well. I think it really does depend on who the security person is, and maybe how threatening you look to being with. I did buy a coke after I went through security. When I am taking a checked bag I usually throw a few bottles of Ensure in there, but since they are going through checked baggage, it isn't a problem.

I'm always way more worried they'll try to confiscate my chainmail than my food, but I'd fight them for either one!
Pangolin

Postby eventamy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm

MommaSith wrote:I have no advice, but YAY that you're coming to Disney World! Last time I was there, the Japanese pavilion in EPCOT Center had a decent variety of Hello Kitty bento boxes, but not much in the way of accessories. I was really hopeful about that place, but oh well... lol.

We have annual passes and live about 20 minutes away, so if you have any interest in meeting up, let me know! (If that weirds you out, or your schedule is just too packed, I completely understand and I'm not offended ;) )

:shock: They have bentos there? OOOH! I'm going to Epcot on our first full day there, it's my favorite park and you know where I'm going with a fistful of dollars!
That must be so cool to live so close! This is our 2nd trip as a family (same week last year) but will be my 8th trip (I think, something like that). I'm so into the planning it's ridiculous!
We'll be there the last week in February if you happen to be around! I'll PM you when we get closer to the date!
eventamy

Next

Return to General Lunch Discussion