Bento on The Next Iron Chef

Bento & lunch-packing talk that doesn't fit elsewhere

Bento on The Next Iron Chef

Postby churs » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Hey fellow bento enthusiasts!

Just wanted to see if anyone watched last night's The Next Iron Chef on Food Network? They arrived in Japan and for the contestant's second challenge they each had to make a meal with five parts each representing one of the five flavors and made with rice. The best part was they had to present it to the judges in a bento box! It was very interesting to see what they came up with. Did anyone else catch this? Any thoughts?
churs

Re: Bento on The Next Iron Chef

Postby Folly » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I immediately ran to my TIVO and found that in San Francisco it is going to be rerun next Saturday . Anyone else checking should look for the episode title "Umami."
Folly

Postby Pangolin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:39 am

I'm sure I'll catch it on a Saturday when they run their "marathons" that they seem to show on the weekends. I've also seen a lot of the cooking shows (including Iron Chef and Top Chef) using quail eggs. On one episode of Top Chef one the chefs got agrocery bag full of Japanese ingredients as a challenge and had no idea what to do with them... he said he never cooked or ate any "Asian food"...huh? How can you live without at least one meal a week Asian-style? ;)
Pangolin

Postby elenacala » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:35 pm

After heating food like rice or a caserole, I like to get a seperate plate aned spread it out as thin as possible, it will cool much faster if it has more of a flat surface area than if you leave it in a bowl or a bento. If you have acess to a microwave, maybe jsut heating it at work or home or wherever would be a good idea too. you could also try setting a hot bento in a small dish of icewater, but that would still take a while since it will take a while to get to the middle layer, unless of course you move it around with a fork or something while it cools.
elenacala

Postby CatAnne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 am

I wish I would have been able to see this. I checked YouTube and didn't see it. Would anyone happen to know what number it was or more info so I could find it?
CatAnne

Return to General Lunch Discussion