Biggie & Bug in car accident (both okay)

All talk not related to packed lunches or cooking

Biggie & Bug in car accident (both okay)

Postby Biggie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:32 am

My husband says I'm still in shock and shouldn't be writing anything on the computer, but he's just fallen asleep, so...

Got badly rear-ended tonight driving Bug home from swim lessons/dinner. We're both more or less okay, thanks to seat belts and an excellent kid carseat (yay Britax Marathon!). I jammed my thumb but it's on ice and I'll live. Our car is probably totalled -- the rear bumper is torn off and the frame is bent under, into a rear wheel. Bug & I were standing next to a busy 6-lane street for two hours, and a good Samaritan in a Hummer (!) came and helped us by parking behind us so we didn't get hit again in the dangerous road. Had to get towed away. Bug thinks riding in a tow truck (like Mater from the Disney Cars movie) was really interesting and fun. I hope that's the last time he has that experience!

The driver that rear-ended me said, "Let's pull over to the side of the road," then disappeared. Good thing I got a clear photo of his license plate on my iPhone and a witness. He turned himself in at a police station an hour and a half later, then came to the police station where we were filing our report. Interesting, but being without a car is going to be problematic. Tomorrow is a new day...

I'll post a photo of our spectacularly wrecked bumper later on.

EDIT: Here's the photo:
Last edited by Biggie on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added photo
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (5)
Biggie
Site Admin

Re: Biggie & Bug in car accident (both okay)

Postby Kyoki » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:44 am

Holy crap! I'm so glad you're okay, and thank God for good Samaritans who were willing to help.

Also, that he turned himself in is pretty nifty. *nods* He must have been a nice guy after all- he probably just panicked.
Kyoki

Postby verdilak » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:59 am

Glad you two are doing good and were uninjured
verdilak

Postby Biggie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 am

Kyoki wrote:Also, that he turned himself in is pretty nifty. *nods* He must have been a nice guy after all- he probably just panicked.

Probably. He also saw me take the photo of his license plate close-up, so that probably encouraged him to step forward. Can't believe he saw that I had a crying child and a torn-off bumper in the middle lane of traffic, and he didn't stay to help or exchange info.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (5)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby Corgi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:37 am

[refrains from commenting on the cowardly pig-dog who probably only thought he'd get caught later]

Holy cow - I mean, I'm glad you were wearing your safety equipment, but an actual practical use for a Hummer!! Good work with your iPhone, that was fast thinking.

Even with your belts on, don't be surprised if you have sore neck muscles for a day or two (either of you). It's not damage, just strain, like unexpected exercise. Good reason for your husband to massage your neck for you. ;)
Corgi
Corgi

Postby arkonitebabe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 am

Big massive hugs to you and Bug from me Image
arkonitebabe

Postby MommaSith » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:09 am

Yikes! Thank God you're both okay!
MommaSith

Postby scraggyheed » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 am

Oooooh. Thank goodness you're both alright :shock:
Take it easy, cos the shock can set in later. Watchout for whiplash too, that too can creep up a couple of days later.
I wish I had a hug smiley.
scraggyheed

Postby Ahorsesoul » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am

Hope you are doing ok today. By tonight or tomorrow you will know how injuried you really are, it take awhile to develop. Hoping both of you will be ok.

My prayers to the other driver, that he gets what he deserves in life.
Word for 2009-Christmas: Living each day filled with the Christmas Spirit.
Life happens even if you aren't ready.
Scrappin Not Nappin in 2009
Ahorsesoul

Postby jerseygeekgirl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm so glad you guys are alright! But I'm so sorry you had to be in an accident. :( Those are never fun at all. Hopefully you won't be too sore from it. Nasty whiplash and back pain and the like. If it makes you feel better, I go to school with a girl who gets into a car accident about once every two weeks. ;)
jerseygeekgirl

Next

Return to Off-topic Chat