What did you pack your kids today?

Kid-related issues: picky eaters, peer pressure, etc.

What did you pack your kids today?

Postby LolaDark » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Anyone object to making this post? - A running list of what you packed your kids for lunch. Post to it when ever you can (include child's age, etc) and people can always come here to look for ideas? I've seen threads like this before and they are so helpful! (photos if you want, but a list is good!)
Specific to kid lunches (special diets and picky eaters very welcome!!)

I will start:

My kids are 2 and 4, they are vegetarian and one is allergic to dairy. We use a laptop lunch box.
Today they had the same lunch:

Sandwhich of tofurkey and "tease" with lettuce and some veganese spread (the "tease" is a chesse sub they love, I buy it online) it even melts perfectly, it's good stuff!
Applesauce
Raisins
ABC cookies (from trader joes)

:D
LolaDark

Re: What did you pack your kids today?

Postby eventamy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Sounds good!

The girls have the same thing tomorrow too. They each have a Hello Kitty 1 layer bento with sliced cheddar cheese, a molded egg (1 bear, 1 fish), crackers and leftover pizza. Tomorrow I'm grocery shopping, hence the no fruit and veggies!
eventamy

Postby Biggie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:14 pm

No objections here, I like the idea! There are LOTS of lunches that I don't write up at length for the blog.

4yo Bug had two mini okonomiyaki today (Japanese cabbage pancake, my recipe here) with shrimp and bacon mixed in, plus little sauce containers with the appropriate condiments (okonomiyaki sauce, mayo, katsuobushi fish flakes & aonori). Grapes, mini banana and some kiwifruit.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (5)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby LolaDark » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Great, this should be fun!
Tonight I'm making our shopping list and reviewing recipes I want to try!
LolaDark

Postby peony » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 am

my grandson's snack box at kiddy. He is 5yrs old.
Bento has ...
  • a ham bun, homemade, I baked bread during the weekends
  • apple slices
peony

What did you pack your kids today? March 11

Postby LolaDark » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:42 am

Left over pasta (whole wheat rotini with red sauce and flavored setain)
Apple slices
Raisins
Mini Corn bread muffins
ABC cookies from trader joes

Kids: 4 and 2
Last edited by Biggie on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post title change
LolaDark

Postby Biggie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 am

A frozen homemade waffle & syrup, baby banana, blueberries, cherry tomatoes, and cheese. For my 4yo son Bug.
Lunch in a Box, speedy bento lunches (my profile's here)
Fluent in Japanese, mom to "Bug" (5)
Biggie
Site Admin

Postby sanriofreak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am

I made my first bento yesterday for my boys' (5 yr old and 3 yr old) lunch. They loved it! I used the clickety clack 2 tier boxes. In the bottom of the box, I had bite sized pieces of canteloupe and some grapes on long toothpicks. On top tier, I used some silicone cups to divide everything up. A boiled egg on one side (I tried to use the mold, but apparantly, I have the opposite problem that everyone else has, b/c the Amish eggs I have are TOO big and exploded when I tried to mold them, lol! DH ate the exploded one for me.), so they just had a regular boiled egg, but funny enough it molded to the shape of the silicone cups and the kids thought that was cool. Edemame (still in the shell) in the middle) and then I had some crackers on the other side. Even my DH ooh'd and ahh'd over how cute everything turned out! Now the kids are asking for more!

I'm going to do a bento tomorrow for them to eat after swim class, but it will be more of a snack bento.
sanriofreak

Postby bayview » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:48 am

My 5 yo son has a lot of food allergies (dairy, egg, nuts, sesame and fish), so he can't eat from his school's lunch service. I pack a bento to make what he can eat a little more fun. He uses a two-tier bento box that I picked up from Daiso.

This morning, I packed plain penne pasta in the bottom tier (he does not like sauce on his pasta), and then chunks of leftover prime rib, kiwifruit, baby carrots, and a small slice of corn on the cob in the top tier.
Making bento lunches for DS5, who is allergic to dairy, eggs, nuts, and fish.
bayview

Postby gfbentomom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:06 am

peony, those buns look so good and remind me of the ones I used to get at the Japanese or Korean bakeries. Good memories!

Kiddo(10 yrs.old) has been having alot of repeat lunches on a rotation as I have been busy, frugal, using up my freezer stash and look for some fresh new ideas. Today was waffle sections(from the freezer stash), homemade strawberry sauce/compote to dip them in, a hard-boiled quail egg, ham slices and cheddar and swiss cubes. I have to send a late morning snack everyday due to a late lunch period, so that was two homemade mini banana muffins(freezer stash)-one cinnamon, one mini choco. chip and a vanilla pudding cup.

Yesterday was fried rice, 3 leftover homemade chinese sweet and sour meatballs, 2 bacon wrapped asparagus bundles, broccoli, carrot sticks and a quail egg. No sugar cranberry-raspberry applesauce cup and gluten-free pretzels for morning snack.
Come visit me at Flickr for bentos that are always gluten-free for mom and kiddo, sometimes casein-free and now always lowcarb for mom.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21012380@N08/
gfbentomom

Next

Return to Kids' Corner