At preschool the children sat three to a table, and the teachers circulated, encouraging everyone to finish their entire meals during the leisurely lunch period. But now at kindergarten the children sit at one long table together, which has got to be more fun but distracting. Couple that with a shorter time to eat, and more bentos are coming back unfinished. (At least they have recess first, and then eat! If it were reversed I think a lot more would go uneaten.)
I look at this as even more reason to pack a bento lunch, so Bug isn’t wasting time waiting in line for cafeteria food and can just dig right in in the short time available. I’ve also been steering away from packing food that I know takes Bug longer to eat, like soup. I can only imagine the challenges for parents of picky eaters!
What about you? How long do your schoolkids have to eat lunch? (If you have multiple kids, go ahead and take the poll multiple times, answering once for each child.) What kind of issues have you had with the time allotted for school lunch, and how have you adjusted your lunch-packing accordingly? Let us know in comments!
How long is your child's lunch period at school?
- 26-30 minutes (27%, 215 Votes)
- 16-20 minutes (22%, 178 Votes)
- 21-25 minutes (16%, 126 Votes)
- 15 minutes or less (10%, 83 Votes)
- 41-45 minutes (6%, 52 Votes)
- 46 minutes or longer (6%, 49 Votes)
- 31-35 minutes (6%, 46 Votes)
- 36-40 minutes (5%, 37 Votes)
- no set time limit (2%, 19 Votes)
Total Voters: 805
- Kids’ Corner discussions on the Lunch in a Box reader forum
- Poll results: How long does it take you to pack a lunch? (poll closed)
- Poll results: What containers do you pack lunches in? (poll closed)
- Archive of all polls on Lunch in a Box
- Bento FAQ and Biggie’s list of top speed tips, tutorials and reviews
March 3rd, 2010 | Categories: poll | Print This Post | Email this post
| Main |